Looking back at some of the earlier WTM blogs from Women in Travel it is really striking to see that the advice from successful women in the industry is to find what you love and pursue it with a passion.
It seems that women (and men) who are effective and achieve their objectives understand themselves; gain clarity on what they wish to do and then get going, while planning, getting feedback and reviewing where they are on a regular basis. So can we all become more effective (and fulfilled) by discovering what we are passionate about and then doing it? I thought it would be helpful to try and summarise the process in a few simple steps…
1 – Understand Yourself / Get Clarity
- What are my strengths and weaknesses?
- What are my likes and dislikes?
- What brings me happiness?
- What are the issues I deeply care about?
2 – Identify Issues / Challenges
- What are the challenges I am facing?
- Which are the results I would like to achieve?
- What is the preferred outcome?
- What is my definition of success?
3 – Identify Options
- Make a list of all the possible options
- Identify plus and minuses for every option
- Think of long term versus short term
- Rate and then select the most appealing option
4 – Make an Action Plan!
- Which steps do you need to undertake to achieve your objective?
- What is the time frame?
- Who can help you? Which resources are available to you?
- When will you review your action plan and how will you seek feedback?
It was also said that finding a mentor to support you, challenge you and perhaps help you go through the above steps could make all the difference!