This year’s WTM London Aviation Programme provided a unique opportunity to hear from two prominent leaders of the global aviation sector.
John Strickland, Chair and Director of JLS Consulting interviewed Sir Tim Clark, President of Emirates and Willie Walsh, CEO of International Airlines Group (IAG) at WTM London.
Catch-up on the session with John Strickland:
What was covered?
An in-depth interview with Sir Tim Clark, President of Emirates & Willie Walsh, CEO of International Airlines Group (IAG) on the state of the global airline industry.
What were the key points?
- The travel industry is going through challenging times
- Brexit and the US election may have significant impact on tourism and air transport
- There are constraints at airports such as lack of runways or the cost of new runways.
- Airlines are very clear they will not pay more for the privilege of using new runways, such as the proposed Heathrow expansion.
- Consideration of the right type of aircraft is important, for example is the A380 too big?
- Despite different business models, leadership styles, size and age; both Emirates and IAG are very successful in terms of from a customer’s point of view but also on profitability.
How do you see this topic developing over the next 12 to 18 months?
- The airline industry is going to have a turbulent ride in the coming months.
- The strongest players with the most switched on management and are most cost focused will survive.
- We may see some failures, airlines shrinking and some being bought out by others.
View the full interview with Sir Tim Clark and Willie Walsh.